The first time I installed a floor, it didn't work out so good. I managed to get up most of the dried epoxy, but the subfloor wasn't a pretty sight. The question was: what should I put down instead? I briefly considered using the flagstones I purchased from Richard Stacey, but decided they were too big. With any dollhouse, scale is an important issue--and I don't mean, 1:12.
Just like with a real house, smaller houses need smaller design elements. 2' crown moldings might look astonishing at Buckingham Palace, but they'd look pretty horrendous in a 1,500 square foot craftsman style bungalow. I actually purchased the flagstones for my larger tudor home--photos forthcoming!--and that house, with its grander scale, is a better fit. Each flagstone is about 1.5" x 2".
So, in the end, I settled on scribed sheathing. It looks like planked flooring, which is nice. I used the same product on the interior walls of the addition.
I epoxied the new flooring in place, lightly sanded it, stained it, and applied two coats of varnish before sanding. Then, after lightly sanding it again, I once again applied a finish coat of stain, er, watered down craft paint.
Again, for authenticity, I gave the addition different flooring. I also decided to have it pointing in a different direction, so the change would look a little more "on purpose". I glued the main section in place, and finished it, before dry-fitting these new pieces. Also, I didn't want paint getting everywhere, so I pre-stained the pieces before gluing them in.
I dry fitted the hearthstone in place and glued around it, to make sure it'd fit.
Coming soon: the rest of the trim.