Preparing for the overhaul...

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting Rid Of Quick Grip

If you've ever put down a floor, or attached a wall panel with Quick Grip and then decided you hated it, this post is for you.

Contrary to popular belief, Quick Grip isn't a death sentence--it's just a really, really long removal process.  In my particular case, I'd originally begun this project some years ago, and then life got in the way.  I only returned to it three days ago, after my grandmother died.  When the going gets tough, the tough turn to crafts (and food).  I think I've become a little more ambitious for my minis since then, because one of my first thoughts was, why on earth did I ever install this floor?

Now, in all fairness, I'm not a huge fan of plastic sheets--although I've used them successfully before, in Nonesuch House.  For some reason, no matter how carefully I cut them, no matter how much paint, etc I apply to them, they always look a little Fisher Price-esque to me.  Since pink plastic isn't really the look I'm going for, I prefer to stick with natural materials whenever possible.

My as-yet unnamed wizard's eyrie is meant to be a light, cheerful spot.  This aspect of its character is all the more important, because the interior space is so small.  My first solution was to faux-finish over the sheet.  Within minutes, it looked like...a dark hole.  No, I decided, it had to come out.  

And that's when the pain began.

I'd really done a pretty good job of gluing that baby in--and, as we all know, Quick Grip is permanent.  I pulled out what I could, until I was left with this:

First, I pulled off what I could.  Then, I scraped off what I could.  My secret weapon: RUBBING ALCOHOL.  Yes, really.  Rubbing alcohol breaks down the dried Quick Grip.  I sponged some over, and it soaked into the wood--and seeped under the sheet.  It didn't make removal a snap, exactly, but it made it possible. 

Be prepared to 1) keep adding rubbing alcohol and 2) use a lot of elbow grease.  With every application, I got off maybe another 5".  My husband supplied a paint scraper, which helped quite a bit.

 The eyrie had to come upstairs, where there's more natural light.  Forgive the fisheye; that's just my camera.  Eventually, this will (hopefully) be a cute little hut.

I'll be landscaping this "rock"--some day.  It's not supposed to be a blasted heath forever.  My problem is, I hate architectural/modeling grass, for a variety of reasons. 

Yes, there's electrical tape, although the house isn't electrified--for a variety of reasons.

So don't give up!  You can get this stuff off.  It just takes forever.  But, really, isn't it worth it in the end? If you're going to build a home for your treasured minis, dollhouse bears, or whatever, don't you want it to be as fabulous as it can be?  A lot of dollhouse building is trading gratification now for gratification later.  

No comments: