So I've been spending a few late nights (and really early mornings) working on the Beacon Hill. While I haven't gotten as far as I'd like, I'm pretty pleased with what I have managed to get done. There's still a lot of foundation work left to do--particularly on the cliffs/landscaping, front porch, and catacombs--but at least now, finally, the house's ultimate form is starting to emerge.
First, I built the "basement" level, which will also support the landscaping. I've left most of the trim off the house, because I plan on doing some serious renovations. The porch in particular is going to look very different once I'm done with it. The roof is half built, because I'm considering hiding some wiring in the gaps.
Yes, it's huge.
This form will eventually be covered with paper clay and painted, so it looks like cliffs instead of floral foam.
The catacombs (which are loosely based on some real life catacombs) are going to be a combination of brick and stone. Adding this in was actually Jim's idea--he has very good ones, and is quite patient in listening to me rant about dollhouses--and I really like how it's turning out. Catacombs say, "this is a haunted house," without being too obvious about it. You need a few creepy elements, right?
The "altar" area is missing--well, apart from the actual altar--its decoration. It'll look better once I'm done with it, I promise!
The beginnings of a hidden staircase...
Then, upstairs, the dining room is now a reasonable size.
I more or less have the design for the parlor worked out...I think. One issue, design-wise, that I'm having is I'm not quite sure where to put the lighting. I know where to put the hidden lighting (just to give some sense of ambient light) but as for sconces, ceiling fixtures, etc...ugh. This house is roughly 1880's, so gas light is appropriate--but how much of it?
I have big plans for that poor stove. I'm really looking forward to finishing both sides of the basement. The storeroom will be fun to decorate...if I ever get there. So far, I'm going at the pace of snail.
The cliffs are mostly still a work in progress--but a fun one!
This bizarre half round shape is going to be a little formal garden with a balustrade. I've seen arrangements like this in real life, both here and overseas, and think it suits the general theme. Plus, it's a good excuse to use my Sue Cook sundial.
This is what I suppose will end up being the master bedroom, but I'm running short of inspiration for it at the moment.
This is probably meant to be the bathroom, but I'm going to turn it into a small library.
This is going to be a wizardly sort of little office area.
And this will be another bedroom.
As you've undoubtedly noticed, the tower is sort of floating on top of the house. I'm leaving it detachable until I've finished decorating it; I envision it as some sort of little stargazing/spellcraft nook. The roof is going to be glass. It's a very small space, but I have high hopes.
After I finish the basic wood forms for the catacombs, my next project will be extending the porch and giving it a Gothic flair.
So that's it so far! If you want to know how I did anything, let me know and I'll write about it.