Preparing for the overhaul...

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Living Room Fireplace--Part I

Now that I've finished with the kitchen, I'm moving on to the parlor and central hall.  The parlor is on the fancier side, the "good room" in the house.  I've found, over the years, that doing sub-assemblies is the easiest so while the varnish on the floor dries (apparently a days-long process in this miserable weather) I'm working on the trim around the windows, the staircase, and the fireplace.

The design is based on that of a couple of real-life fireplaces I'd seen, that had been fitted with cast-iron inserts (in service of either coal or gas).  Mine, I made with illustration board, which I've decided is possibly one of the best products on earth, a few scraps of wood, some found columns, a cadged Chrysnbon part and a lucite cameo from Beadaholique (purchased on Amazon).  I sealed the final assembly and then sprayed it with Testors flat black.  The mantel is going to be the same cream color as the cornice molding and the chimney breast is going to be wallpapered.






Onward and upward!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I've missed a few posts, but gosh you move like the wind and your ideas are quite phenomenal!

It's looks outstanding C.J., you have very enviable talent!!! ;o)))

nancyengedesign said...

I admire your ability to visualize and combine components into a whole new thing. Paint is a magic thing in your hands :)

Liduina said...

The fireplace is you made is really looking good; lovely!

Susan Korman said...

The fireplace looks great. I love the horse broach and what a great idea.

Susan

Steinworks said...

I think your fireplace has turned out well if I hadn't have seen how you did it I would think it came that way..great job

Marisa

otterine said...

Love it!! :D

Elizabeth S said...

Hi C.J.! The fireplace looks FANTASTIC! It is always amazing just how effective paint is at unifying unequal part and making them cohesive. The resulting fireplace has turned out Perfectly!
Well done!

elizabeth