I still need to do a little touch-up work around the front door, but to all intents and purposes the hall is now done. Painting the Chrysnbon doors has been a challenge, mainly because they're fairly easy to scuff up even with a protective top coat, but overall I'm pleased with the results.
|This is the variegated rubber tree I made for the Beacon Hill; it's enjoying its temporary home.|
I tried to give the floor an old, "scuffed" look. The scuff marks are all under the varnish, though; I have a thing about smooth surfaces (and I also like surfaces I can keep clean!) I'm never entirely happy with my floors, for whatever reason, but I think this one came out alright. It certainly goes with the overall theme of the house, which is a mix of old and "modern." I've also been pleasantly surprised at how well the plastic blends with the real wood.
This is a close-up of the rug I made. I had a hard time finding the rugs I wanted, so eventually I just started experimenting on my own. I don't plan on this hall being the rug's final home, as it's a little fancy, but the colors worked well so I used it as a background. I've made a few different rugs over the past few days, and also a floor cloth. Pictures to come!
Also, too, I'm not sure if this is the hutch's final home but when I made the kitchen appliances, I went for broke and made the whole set (including the table and chairs, which are still on my workbench half finished).