Preparing for the overhaul...

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Formal Parlor--Finally

So, the formal parlor is about 85% complete at this point.  Still to go are the stairs (since installed but the spindles, etc need finishing) and the paintings for above the mantel.  Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it's come out!  The wainscoting in particular was a real pain and took forever--all of those identical panels were not fun.  The color scheme is based off of one I saw, and adored, in a nearby historic house.

Luckily, the blood, sweat and tears that went into this room aren't evident in the finished product!








With the rug I made.
 And that, as they say, is that.  I have a bit more work to do on the bathroom, as well as on the third floor (actually quite a bit more work on the third floor!), then I have to cope with the roof.  And then it's back to the outside, for landscaping.

4 comments:

Simon said...

It's fantastic! I love the colours. You can tell it took a lot of work.
What are the hook in the cornice for?

C.J. said...

Paintings! That I'm still working on (pictures to come, soon). I figure, whoever purchases the house ultimately can keep them or switch them out. Hanging them on ribbons, chains, etc from quite high up on the wall was common during the area of the house, at least in this geographic location; and it looks a good deal more sightly than pins or museum wax :-) A classier version of how the painting in the kitchen is hung.

Michelle said...

I love the two tone and so vibrant too! Your mitre cuts are just superb and I hate doing tiny pieces like you have here.

I too wondered what the hooks were for, so glad Simon asked! :o))

Irene said...

Well worth the hard work. I like the patterned detail in the panels.