Preparing for the overhaul...

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Mausoleum Shell, Phase I

Now that I'm working on the interior of the Laurel, there's a lot of down time while I let things dry, etc.  In particular, the living room floor has taken FOREVER to dry.  So I figured that, rather than sitting there looking at it and feeling annoyed, I'd work on my side project.  I usually have one, for just this reason.  And also because working on one thing without a break can get boring.

I have quite a lot to say about why I find the architecture of mausoleums fascinating, but it's fairly boring to listen to unless you like to nerd out about architecture, so I'll just skip to the part where I explain that I decided to build one from scratch using some left over materials I had lying around.  I had a couple of new stone techniques to try out, and there are a couple of real life mausoleums that have inspired this project and that inspired me in general. 

The mausoleum is going to be fairly detailed when it's done; I'm working on the door right now, which will be aged bronze with a bas relief, and on a couple of sculptural elements (including for the main tomb on the inside).  

Here's what I have so far...























Thoughts?

11 comments:

Michelle said...

You're not alone working on more than one project simultaneously. I hate waiting for things to dry and/or waiting for ideas to develop. Floor's take an age to dry....I have no idea why, but they do! ;o)

Well, this is a change of architecture! Those Gothic windows and doorways are horrors to cut and yours are perfect!

Have you used Gator board with a combination of wood? You can't buy it in the UK for which I envy those who can! It's thicker and more substantial than foamboard.

C.J. said...

Thank you! This is actually illustration board, not foam core, paired with lime wood and plywood for strength. I love illustration board and find it fantastic for many things. And, of course, available on Amazon for substantially less than at the store!

Michelle said...

I had to Google illustration board to see if it's what we call mount-board...it's very similar but better! I thank you for sharing that C.J. :o)

I want to build a wonky house that defies gravity lol and this with wood and foamboard should do it!

In the meantime I look forward in seeing this progress. :o)

C.J. said...

You're welcome! The great thing about illustration board is that it'll take a LOT of abuse--especially in terms of painting, sanding, etc etc etc. It's extremely easy to paint and won't warp like wood.

Daydreamer said...

This project looks Fascinating! I do like it when you Geek out on Architecture! I think a lot of us are fascinated by the style and design of the buildings we are making! I look forward to seeing more of this project!

Elizabeth S said...

Hi C.J.! This looks like a great project to pass the time while waiting for the paint to dry! :) I would imagine that it will be covered in a stone of some sort and that also will prove to be interesting. I like the windows.

elizabeth

Irene said...

What a great project and I love the little window and all the angles. I too like something else to work on.

Michelle said...

C.J,

I forgot to ask, did you use a craft knife to cut the board, or ? I know it annihilates the blades, well, mount board does! ;o))

C.J. said...

I do use an x-acto blade to cut it, and it DOES eat through blades! I buy them in bulk (once again) on Amazon. The egg carton cardboard eats through them something wicked, too.

Steinworks said...

Sorry Im late to the party again, will you be using paperclay for your stone work? (I just learned about that watching Casey put it on her house)

Hugs
Marisa

otterine said...

I swear I commented - or maybe I was going to and then fumbled. :D Oops. Anyway - this is a marvelous building, so many interesting elements and it's just the beginning! I'm eager to see what you do with it.