Now that I'm working on the interior of the Laurel, there's a lot of down time while I let things dry, etc. In particular, the living room floor has taken FOREVER to dry. So I figured that, rather than sitting there looking at it and feeling annoyed, I'd work on my side project. I usually have one, for just this reason. And also because working on one thing without a break can get boring.
I have quite a lot to say about why I find the architecture of mausoleums fascinating, but it's fairly boring to listen to unless you like to nerd out about architecture, so I'll just skip to the part where I explain that I decided to build one from scratch using some left over materials I had lying around. I had a couple of new stone techniques to try out, and there are a couple of real life mausoleums that have inspired this project and that inspired me in general.
The mausoleum is going to be fairly detailed when it's done; I'm working on the door right now, which will be aged bronze with a bas relief, and on a couple of sculptural elements (including for the main tomb on the inside).
Here's what I have so far...