Preparing for the overhaul...

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The (Almost Finished) Facade

I'm about 90% done with the brick and stone work for the house; the next step is painting and grouting, and then installing the exterior doors and windows.  I'm planning on writing another post a little later on about how I got to where I am, and what I've learned (especially what I've learned not to do!), but in the meantime I figured I'd post a few pictures of the almost finished product.

One piece of advice I do have, though, right off the bat is to buy your egg cartons wholesale--especially if you plan on covering an area of any size.  I've used more egg cartons than you can shake a stick at on this project, and apart from being highly impractical buying 50 or so cartons' worth of actual eggs is quite expensive.  However, you can buy them by the hundred (or more) for about 30 cents a carton.  Better!  If you don't have access to a feed store, etc, egg cartons of all shapes and sizes are available on Amazon.





Waiting for the porch...










The farmhouse is going to have a little damage, since this is supposed to be an old building (albeit in overall good repair).









Thoughts?  Questions, comments, concerns for when I write the longer how to post?

12 comments:

nancyengedesign said...

Ach! Gorgeous. Love the genuine attention to detail and scale fidelity.

Michelle said...

I'm guessing you cut your own bricks! :o))) I did this a few years back but not from egg cartons. These are just totally realistic and nothing short of amazing! Not only do they look real, but they have no weight! WOW!

This is looking superb! ;o))

Daydreamer said...

Awesome bricking job!!! You are accomplishing a huge amount with this house... it looks fantastic! And thanks for the tips on getting egg cartons the quick way.... !
I can't wait for more!

otterine said...

Fantastic!!! I usually bug my coworkers and look on freecycle for egg cartons. :D I love the year added, too...very realistic detail!

Susan Korman said...

Wow! The facade looks great! The bricks look so realistic and even though I've seen people use the egg cartons for bricks and other things it never ceases to amaze me!

Susan

Simon said...

I'm so impressed! Well done on a really fantastic job. I can't wait to see it grouted and painted.
Simon

Anonymous said...

My last egg-carton finish was the Willow in "free-hand stone" which took forever, so I am mightily impressed with your brickwork! Looking forward to seeing the next phase- what do you use for grout? Regards, rbytsdy from the Greenleaf Forum

Anonymous said...

Scrolling down through your previous posts, I just realized that this is the Laurel, which I am working on also but not nearly to such dramatic effect as you are-- love what you're doing with this build! Regards, rbytsdy from the Greenleaf Forum

Giac said...

Hello CJ,
It is just breathtaking
! Your brickwork is superb and you have added so much detail and interest to the structure. I LOVE the chimney,
Excellent work.
Big hug,
Giac

Steinworks said...

CJ I love how it turned out, the attention to detail is amazing!

Hugs
Marisa

Elizabeth S said...

Hi C J ! How tedious this brick laying must have been... BUT SO WORTH IT!!!! I love the chimney and the raised brick division between the floors and the beautiful pattern climbing the chimney! Totally and utterly Marvelous!! :D

elizabeth

C.J. said...

Thank you everyone, for all your wonderfully positive and inspiring comments! It means a lot, and I look forward to reading them so :-) It's very motivating, particularly around the five thousandth brick...