So here I was, with this...my husband looked at it and tried to be polite. It was pretty, er, green and not that, er, thrilling. Although he was interested to see what I'd done so far with the egg cartons; he, evidently had a hard time picturing it. At this point, since I was done with cladding one side of the house, I figured I'd try my hand at giving it some character. To do the whole project, I used four things: a bunch of latex wedge sponges (basically makeup sponges), the two weathering kits I'd talked about earlier, and a can of low odor spray fix. I spray fixed between layers, i.e. when I alternated between layers of dirt and aging. For the stone, and to bring out the wood grain, I used the PanPastel "rust and earth" kit and for the weathering and extra grimy and sooty areas I used the "grays and soot kit. Make sure you have good ventilation!
I started with dirt, first, grading in different shades and wiping off the excess...
|Slowly getting dirtier and dirtier...|
|Old, but not quite old enough...|
|Finally getting there...|
|A little character here and there...|
|This side is done!|
|I'm excited to see the stone with actual grout...|
|It's an interesting contrast, the two halves...|
|The pot's just there as a placeholder, to make sure it fits...eventually I'm going to fill it with something.|
Now I get to do the rest of the half timbering, then move on to the rest of the stone and, finally, the brick! I'm probably going to do the plaster last, when I do the grout between the stones. The plaster I ordered hasn't come yet, and I want to experiment with it first for awhile anyway. Also, there's still a lot to do with the other sides--both the exterior oven/fireplace wall and the greenhouse wall--not to mention the decorative facing around the actual open back.