Preparing for the overhaul...

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Facade--Underpainting and Egg Cartons!

So at the point I began the egg carton project, I was here:


I was first introduced to the idea of egg carton stone, and bricks, by Brae when she did her fabulous Haunted Heritage.  I've since seen the technique elsewhere, notably on Victoria Miniland.  This (as-yet unnamed) house is going to have both bricks and stone; I started with the stone.  One benefit of having farming family members is a near-unlimited supply of egg cartons, and I have a large stack currently in the corner of our craft room.  I'm also given to understand that more are on the way, which is exciting.  Plenty of room to experiment!  What I found worked the best, after awhile, was to rip up new stones as I worked rather than rip them all up beforehand (as I would with bricks--well, cut them but same idea).  One aspect of this project that I wasn't prepared for is that fitting everything together took awhile...





And awhile...




I gave the stone an undercoat of sandstone-colored paint.








So far, so good, with the egg cartons.  Originally, I'd planned on finishing the entire facade before starting on the weathering, but I couldn't wait.  The prospect of weathering was just too exciting.  Plus, I didn't want to get too far before discovering I was barking up the wrong tree.  Which led me to the second portion of my (second) sick day...

3 comments:

otterine said...

This looks fabulous!!! :D High five!

Susan Korman said...

HI C.J.,

I really like the stonework and think it is going along terrific! Very impressive.

Susan

Patricia Davenport said...

I would like to try this on my outside walls of my bakery. Did you put something in between the stones such as something to look like cement?