Preparing for the overhaul...

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Facade So Far...

I've been working on the facade, which will be mostly brick.  The chimneys still need quite a bit more work before I can start cladding; and while the materials for the porch have arrived I'm not ready for them yet!  I did a tiny bit of cladding to show my family what I meant by "egg carton bricks"; the chimney designs are based on local architecture.  The window frames are dry fitted to help me place things; I'm about to take them out again and finish them properly as I simultaneously cut out another few (thousand) bricks.  Hooray!







The arches are going to be clad with brick as well.


The upper part of each chimney is going to have cool recessed channels.









So there it is, a beginning...

6 comments:

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Here where the first part of the whole fun starts - exterior decoration! Lovely facade! Mini hugs, Natalia

PILAR6373 said...

La fachada en su estructura es fantástica!!! Y cuando la llenes de ladrillos y le hagas la decoración,estoy segura que quedará genial,espero ir viendo tus progresos!!
Besos.

Daydreamer said...

Ah, the bricks!!! I have been doing some of them lately... they take longer than I thought they would! Still don't have the courage to try an entire wall!!! You are very brave... and must have lots and lots of egg boxes!!! It is looking very fine so far!

Giac said...

Hello CJ,
The house is off to an amazing start. I will think of you and your patience cutting out all those bricks.
Hang in there...it is for a good cause.
Big hug,
Giac

Steinworks said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hugs
Marisa

Elizabeth S said...

I have to say that a brick house has always appealed to me esthetically and for you to tackle one is a project that I find entirely engrossing. The finished farm house will look incredible judging from your previous projects. I love the details that you are already incorporating into this build around the windows, so good luck with it, C J. I know that you have big plans already underway and I am along for the ride!

elizabeth