Preparing for the overhaul...

Monday, January 27, 2014

POLL: What Do You...

What do you do with your dollhouses once you're finished with them?

FYI, this is where I stopped on the Glencroft before I switched.  I need to dirty up the mortar, but on the whole I'm pleased with how the "stone" is coming out.  I'll write more about how I did it, when I go back to the Glencroft (which I'm excited to do) if anyone's interested.  In the meantime, I've discovered that cutting out thousands of bricks is actually quite meditative and enjoyable.  And an added bonus is that applying them is much more straightforward than shaping each individual "stone" to fit in an artistic and yet believable fashion.  I have a friend who's a stonemason and I watched him build our retaining wall and it looked really hard...and I thought of that when I was doing this, gosh, how much harder would this be in three dimensions plus load bearing?



And now, back to bricks...

7 comments:

Steinworks said...

I find that when I'm stressed doing printies or cutting things calm me down a little bit, I like your grout work, very well done :)

Giac said...

Hello C.J.
The stonework is coming along beautifully.
I have given away 2 houses because I just did not have the time. Right now I am just working on the one, but my next 3 or 4 projects are for specific people.
Big hug,
Giac

otterine said...

So far, my finished houses are on display in my house...but the available space is dwindling. :[

I am about to start cutting hundreds of stones for my latest build, too. See you in the trance! Haaaa!

Anna said...

My projects are on display, in spite of the fact that I live in a very small space. I'm not even sure where I'm going to put my current build when it's finished...and two future projects (in the planning stages) are going to be very, VERY big.

I show them to curious guests, I rearrange them, I see what I could have done better and make mental notes for future projects.

I admire your patience with making faux stones...I "cheat" by using real bits of slate that chipped off the patio at my last place (for three-dimensional rocks, I like aquarium gravel).

nancyengedesign said...

I'm not sure I'm ever really finished with a house, but of the four I've built, two are out on display (and play) in my living room. The current build is in my studio/office, and the others are still packed away, courtesy of moving back across the US last summer. I keep meaning to unpack them, especially since I want to replace a woodstove with a Chrysnbon one, thanks to your wonderful tutorials and insights.

Elizabeth S said...

Hi C J! I have given away more than I have kept in both houses and room boxes. I have a few small projects ( 3 room boxes) that are able to fit on some shelving amongst the books. The two other small houses are on my workroom table and a chest of drawers. I figure that if I see them at eye level, I will actually do some work on them. But really, I don't. Which is why they will probably never be finished.
sigh....

elizabeth

Daydreamer said...

My projects seem to multiply before I manage to complete them! I am slowly completing them... and trying to keep the expansion under control... by that I mean not sending me out to the RL Housing market in search of a bigger house! So far I have only made one for another person... (my sister)and I sent it to her with some unfinished parts so she could enjoy the finishing herself.