Thank you all, so much, for your excellent advice re: my lighting issues, and for your support in general! I really appreciate it! I did, finally--delaying dinner somewhat, I'm sorry to report--figure out what I was doing wrong, and it had to do, actually (as I suspected it might) with the terminal block itself. I intend to do a post on this later on but, for now, all I have to say is wow, the Cir-Kit direction manual sucks. The writing, and the actual diagrams, convey two different things; success came when I examined the latter while ignoring the former. A variety of different tie-off combinations finally yielded success and, at least in my own mind, a logical explanation.
There's not a whole lot I can do, lighting-wise, until the rest of my lights come so I've moved on to some of the interior built-ins. Tonight, I started on the library. Jim is also doing some drawings for me, which will hopefully be readable by a laser cutter (I have a vision for the living room).
I needed a break from stone, stone and more stone, and from the exterior in general. Tonight, Jim made me a beverage where the "secret ingredient" was my son's baby food. He's now happily smearing it on his face (mangoes) as I write this. Oh, for shame.